02 Maret 2012

656

At my Haarweg 107 farewell dinner, we had a discussion about things-scientists-shouldn't-do-because-they've-been-done-and-didn't-work-out. I think it started with me and Andras being thesis partners (sort of), or something to do with Bas' internship. Anyway, the gist is, there should be a database of things-scientists-shouldn't-do... well, you get the idea.

You'd think there is at least one database already, right? It's so obvious, practical and convenience to have one. Imagine money, time and hassles that can be avoided. I don't know about databases. I don't search for it (feel free to do that and if you find one, please kindly let me know in the comment). But for reliable scientific source, we rely on scientific journals.

Enter Journal of Negative Results in BioMedicine, an open access, peer-reviewed, online journal that promotes a discussion of unexpected, controversial, provocative and/or negative results in the context of current tenets. Had +Rajini Rao posted it on April 1st, I'd be suspecting April Fools. But it looks legit, with real scientist and PubMed indexed and all.

Adam Ruben did if-onlys in Science magazine. I quote, "You can get published even when the experiment fails–it’s the easiest way to pad your CV since the invention of 1.25-inch margins." From his proposed titles, Journal of Outrageous Claims and Journal of Outliers Almost Certainly Caused by Inattention can be interesting engineering counterparts of JNRBM, don't you think? Although my favorite is Journal of p < 0.05. So intriguing :D

PS: When I started writing this, JNRBM website couldn't open. Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser... :-?

1 komentar:

  1. your post is nice.. :)
    keep share yaa, ^^
    di tunggu postingan-postingan yang lainnya..

    jangan lupa juga kunjungi website dunia bola kami..
    terima kasih.. :)

    BalasHapus